Sunday, November 2, 2008

Building Magic Stairs

First off, a quick apology. I'm sorry I haven't done this earlier. I've been contemplating it for the last 7+ months to give anyone interested an opportunity to check in on us as they are interested. Today's lunch conversation just seemed like a good reason to start today.

Well, its Sunday so that means a long day at church for us. We love it, but sometimes its especially long for the boys and if they dont head out with a friend I like to do something fun in the afternoon when when we can. Today we loaded up and headed to the mall after church. The boys love to get their pick of the food court, window shop through the Disney Store and explore the play area.We got lunch, found a table, prayed and began to eat.
Of course we sat at a table for 4 since three of us dont fit at a table for 2. I didn't really think too long or hard about it but it didnt go unnoticed by Grant. Grant looked around and said, "Someone should be sitting by me." I told him I was sitting across from him. He said, "My Daddy should be here." We discussed that we miss him and that sometimes we are sad and wish he was here. Then Grant says, "Mommy, I'm going to build magic stairs so Daddy can climb down from heaven and see us." Wow! It's been a while since this discussion has come up and I was kind of floored. Although I've been struggling a lot lately with how long the first seven months of forever has felt so I shouldn't be surprised that my 4 year old is struggling with Daddy being in heaven forever. We had another good discussion about how wonderful heaven is and how happy Daddy must be there with God and that he's going to stay there. I thought we had covered it all when Grant simply says, "Mommy, how do you build stairs?" And all at once the door closes and our conversation turns to carpentry.
Well, Brian's not coming back and its not our time to go. Sometimes I almost envy Grants ability to ponder and remember and then move right along. Although were not building any stairs, I still hope to grow closer to God through each step of our journey here. And hopefully God will continue to use my boys to help me see how real magic is in the heart of a child.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to get back here soon!

8 comments:

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Sigh... Sniff... wipe my eyes. Your boys sure are smart!

I'm so glad you started a blog and I'm your VERY first comment!!! yeah! Get ready to be addicted:-)

Shelby F said...

I'm with Amy... sniff, wipe eyes. How precious Grant is. I look forward to reading your blog!

BTW the cake was awesome! Don't change a thing!

Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! I'm passing your site along to all of my friends.

Krisinda said...

Glad you're finally getting this done. I think it'll do you good to get it out and you'll treasure what you have to look back on in the months and years to come. Love you, girl!

KC said...

What a gift God bestows upon us to hear from Him through the mouths of our children. It's funny how the tables turn sometimes and they teach us.

Jyllian will often say things that really help me pause to appreciate God more.

Great, great blog~Magic Stairs.
I look forward to reading more with you guys too! :0)

Aunt Sherry said...

We miss you in Missouri! Thanks for the great update(s). Aunt Sherry and Uncle Benny love you lots and are praying for you and the boys. We are so proud of you!

Tammy Meinershagen said...

Oh Amber, I am in tears. You are one strong woman!! I'm jealous you have created your blog; I need to do it too!

Digital Mom said...

AMBER! I am so glad you are blogging. Great entry. You guys are in our prayers and remember we are right down the street if you need anything!